Stress is something we all know and experience, but consistent definitions of ‘stress’ are hard to come by.
In physics, stress is the force or pressure acting on something. The effect of stress on a body is called ‘strain’.
Some stress is good, but too much or too little and it can be destructive. Balance is important. When we exercise, we are stressing the body and we need to do that to maintain an optimally functioning and strong body. But if we over exercise or overstress our bodies, then injuries can occur. When we cannot compensate for the extra strain on the body, it breaks or gets injured. If there is no exercise or stress on the body, then also other diseases can occur.
This can happen emotionally, mentally or physically and societally.
There is no doubt that we all have been under more strain and stress over the past few years with the pandemic, economic challenges, stressor of outside induced loneliness, disrupting work and family life, school disruption, lack of exercise, more life threatening illnesses and deaths and so much more.
Stress can be a factor in many diseases, and sometimes can initiate those diseases. This page is just an example of some ways stress can negatively impact health and where I can be of service for those of you struggling with stress-related conditions.
Stress related health issues I can help you with
Sleep Issues –
- Circadian rhythm disorders
- Sleep-wake cycle imbalance
- Restless legs, muscle cramps and restless sleep
- Difficulty getting to sleep
- Difficulty staying asleep, including waking up startled
- Not waking rested
Acute grief reaction–
- from loss (job, loved one, home, financial loss, safety, social network, etc)
Acute and chronic Stress Reactions –
- from work, home, school, neighborhood, politics, health, job vulnerability or loss
Substance Use, Imbalance or abuse
- Smoking- cigarettes, vaping
- Prescription Drugs (ie medications prescribed for sleep, ADD, concentration, anxiety, pain, etc)
- Over-the-counter Medications (used for pain, sleep or to decrease pain, etc)
- Recreational drugs
“Burn-out” – Many people minimize this as a ‘real’ issue, but this is actually a serious condition and is often caused by work stress, but can be from school, home and family responsibilities and other things. Symptoms can include
- Isolation – this is often due to feeling overwhelmed easily and is usually self-imposed
- Sleep issues
- Frequent illnesses
- Irritability or depression or anxiety
- Pessimism or cynical outlook on life and work
- Headaches, stomach aches, muscle pain
- Slowly increasing reliance or alcohol or other substances to make it through the day. (it often sneaks up on someone before they notice it themselves)
My approach to help
The goal is to improve your day-to-day quality of life, to be able to function better at home and work.
- First, I spend time to get to know you, what troubles you today and how you got here…what your path was to get to this place. It is important to not be stressed by time, and this is why my first appointment is 90 minutes. It is important to me to get as much of the bigger and smaller pictures as possible.
- When people have stress-related conditions, they often feel uncomfortable and vulnerable sharing some things. My goal is to honor where you are. I am not here to judge at all. As Walt Whitman said “Be Curious, not judgmental”. I practice medicine in that way. I need to know where you are at to be able to help.
- I work in partnership with you to help you get back to a healthier you. And to restore and renew. You are the captain of the ship and I have many tools that can help. We can decide those together
- It is important to do some medical evaluation as well. I will probably order lab tests to ensure you are not battling a physiological health concern as well. I will often have people schedule with their PCP to have an evaluation as well.
- I will address both the symptoms you came in for and other health conditions that may be contributing to the situation. I may refer to other providers to help you heal and to be part of your healthcare team.
- I integrate the best of both natural and conventional medicine for individualized treatments and care to help you get back on your feet.
Discuss your health needs, our services and determine whether this is a good fit for you on your health journey